The Bank of the James/Ronald V. Dolan Citizenship Award was started in 2006 in memory of one of its founding board members, Ron Dolan. Ron was an accomplished businessman and exemplified good citizenship in everything he did. We honor his memory by asking local schools to select a student who has demonstrated the characteristics that Ron personified.
The award is not a scholarship program. It is an award given to a student from each of the Region 2000 area high schools who possesses the qualities of integrity, trustworthiness and loyalty. Administration and faculty from each of the high schools select their own student to receive this award and then submits the name of their chosen recipient to the bank. The bank is not part of the selection process as the principals, teachers, and guidance counselors know their students and what they have contributed back to the community during their high school years. This award is not based on academic or athletic achievement, but community service and citizenship qualities.
The nominee must be:
- A Senior attending who has met all qualifications for graduation.
- Selected by the school’s principal and faculty as having characteristics which make the student stand out among other students at the school.
- A student who has demonstrated outstanding citizenship qualities that show loyalty, trustworthiness, integrity and a genuine concern for the well-being of others.
Since 2006, 230 students have been recipients of the Bank of the James/Ronald V. Dolan Awards.
- Altavista Combined School: Amanda Lynn Tuck
- Amherst County High School: Sydney Madison Keesee
- Appomattox County High School: Nathan Archer Simpson
- Brookville High School: Hannah Nicole Young
- EC Glass High School: Hans Aldryn Rimando Flores
- Heritage High School: Grace H Chun
- Holy Cross Regional Catholic School: Molly Anne Graham
- Jefferson Forest High School: Joshua Paul Oglesby, Christopher Mark Oglesby
- Liberty Christian Academy: Landyn McLayne Dupin
- Liberty High School: Morgann Grace Dills
- Nelson County High School: Piper Nicole Baum
- New Covenant School: Madeline Grace Patton
- New Vistas School: Faith Alexander Oulette
- Rustburg High School: Grace Kathryn Bigham
- Staunton River High School: Cassidy Paige Chambers
- Temple Christian School: Prestina Beth Talley
- Timberlake Christian Schools: Julia Elaine-Marie Bauchou
- Virginia Episcopal School: George Webster Burruss
- William Campbell High School: Desiree Claire Archer