Last year Bank of the James donated to numerous non-profit organizations and sponsored community events in the following categories:
- Awarded 18 high school seniors with a $500 cash award each as part of the Bank of the James/Ronald V. Dolan Citizenship Award Program. Students receiving these awards are selected by their high schools as possessing citizenship qualities that show loyalty, trustworthiness, kindness, integrity and a genuine concern for the well-being of others. This is the bank’s 9th year in presenting these citizenship awards.
- Pledged donation to Lynchburg Beacon of Hope.
- Sponsored the YMCA of Central Virginia’s Summer Learning Loss Prevention Program.
- Sponsored a Classroom Innovation Grant in partnership with the Lynchburg Education Foundation.
- Purchased books for the library at William Marvin Bass Elementary School.
- Supported the Classroom Enrichment Program through the Bedford Area Educational Foundation.
- Presented donation of new library books to TC Miller School for Innovation.
- Presented a scholarship to a student in the Charlottesville community through the Charlottesville Area Community Foundation.
- Presented a business scholarship to at local Amherst County student at Sweet Briar College.
- Sponsored the Spot & Dot Library Bus for the Appomattox Literacy Intervention Project.
- Donated to the Campbell County Public Library System for the opening of the new Timbrook Library.
- Presented donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Virginia to support their annual golf tournament.
- Gifted donation to Camp Kum-Ba-Yah, Inc. for their scholarship fund and to support the Aquaponics Garden project for their students.
- Sponsored a camp membership for a local student to attend camp through the Girls Scouts of Virginia Skyline organization.
- Sponsored camp memberships for two young ladies to attend the YWCA camp.
- Sponsored the Lynchburg Elementary Youth Awards Program in association with the Optimist Club of Lynchburg.
- Named Corporate Sponsor of our city’s Children’s Museum, Amazement Square.
- Sponsored trip for students at the Jubilee Family Development Center to visit the D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Virginia. Bank of the James also sponsored the annual Tug of War with proceeds going to this organization.
- Purchased 15 meals for Mother’s Day for students at the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Lynchburg.
- Donated gift cards to Smart Beginnings of Central Virginia for their “Are you Smarter than a Third Grader” competition.
- Sponsored a 5K Super Hero Run for CASA of Central Virginia.
- Sponsored a student to attend American Legion Girls State in conjunction with the American Legion of Bedford.
- Sponsored a car in the 10th annual All-American Soap Box Derby in partnership with the Rockingham County Rotary Club in Harrisonburg.
- Sponsored festival in Brookneal, Virginia with proceeds benefiting Patrick Henry’s Boys and Girls Home.
- Sponsored concert to benefit the Holiday Lake 4-H Educational Center.
Arts and Culture
Bank of the James supports arts, culture and entertainment opportunities to enhance the quality of life and spur economic development in the communities we serve.
- Served as Grand Master Sponsor of the Virginia 10 Miler.
- Contributed to the Academy Center of the Arts for the restoration of the Academy of Music Theater.
- Sponsored the New Works Public Reading Program in partnership with Endstation Theatre Company.
- Sponsored the Young Artists at an Exhibition Concert in conjunction with the Lynchburg Symphony Orchestra.
- Partnered with the James River Arts and Humanities to sponsor the pianos in downtown Lynchburg.
- Sponsored the Chili Cook-off for the Sedalia Center.
- Sponsored festival for the Avoca Museum in Altavista.
- Sponsored festival for Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest.
Health and Human Services
We believe it’s important to support organizations that help people when they need it most. Our responsibility as a corporate citizen is fundamental to maintaining strong and healthy economies. That’s why we volunteer and provide financial support to non-profits whose missions span a variety of focuses, from housing to feeding the area’s hungry.
- Sponsored race to benefit the Lynchburg Daily Bread, a shelter that provides a hot nutritious meal for the needy of the Lynchburg area.
- Donated funds to Rush Homes to produce awareness video.
- Donated funds to Interfaith Outreach Association. Interfaith Outreach Association strives to relieve distress and improve the quality of life for our neighbors in need by providing programs that offer education, guidance, and support.
- Sponsored race to benefit the Alzheimer’s Association – Central and Western Virginia Chapter.
- Gifted donation to benefit the Greater Lynchburg Habitat for Humanity. In addition, Bank of the James sponsored a Blue Grass Festival to benefit the Amherst County Habitat for Humanity program.
- Sponsored an Executive Spelling Bee and Over-the Edge Event for HumanKind.
- Donated to The Christmas Station in Bedford, Virginia.
- Contributed to the Canstruction Project in Lynchburg to benefit the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank. Bank employees built a sculpture of art using hundreds of canned goods – all of which are donated to the area food bank.
- Sponsored tennis tournament with proceeds going to The Salvation Army.
- Served as Gold sponsor of the Annual Awareness Breakfast for The Gateway Program, a program of Lynchburg Community Action Group, Inc.
This is only a sampling of the numerous sponsorships and donations to which Bank of the James contributes. During 2015, the bank made contributions to over 175 worthy organizations and invested over $215,000.00. In addition to the sponsorships and donations, the bank also supports local schools with program and year book advertising and sponsors local youth baseball and basketball teams.
Bank of the James employees give of their time and talents throughout the year to help with numerous community organizations. From serving meals at the Lynchburg Daily Bread to staining decks and mulching flower beds for The United Way’s Day of Caring, Bank of the James employees give back to the communities we serve. Our employees donated supplies and backpacks for area schools to give to students who would not afford them, gave gifts during Christmas to support a local mission, and participated in several clothing drives for the homeless. In addition, our employees visit area elementary, middle and high schools to teach classes on banking and finance.
2015 Community Recognition
- Named a Finalist (Best Community Bank) in a viewer survey conducted by The Lynchburg News and Advance. Bank of the James Mortgage also was named a Finalist (Best Mortgage Company) in this same viewer survey.
- Received Best Community Bank (GOLD) in a viewer survey conducted by Lynchburg Living Magazine.
- Featured as one of the Best Places to Work by Lynchburg Business Magazine.
Please note that this is a partial list of sponsorship’s and donations given by Bank of the James.
Organizations requesting consideration for support should contact Vickie Spencer, Bank of the James, 615 Church Street, Lynchburg, Virginia 24504; 434-846-2000; firstname.lastname@example.org.